Are you afraid of medicinal mushrooms?
Talk about mushrooms and some people conjure up an image of plucking strange, poisonous plants in the woods while others see a plate of edible delicacies. Thankfully, you can reap mushrooms; medicinal bounty without the worry or the work by simply picking a supplement at the store instead of in the forest!
Mushrooms aren’t really plants since they lack chlorophyll and a plant structure of leaves, stem and roots. They belong to the fungus family of organisms. There are more than 10,000 kinds and several different categories, one of which is medicinal. Notable examples are reishi, lion’s mane turkey tail, cordyceps and shitake.
Both the activity and synergy of these once mysterious miniatures have been revealed through rigorous and challenging scientific testing. Fungi contain a complexity of enzymes, nutrients and phytochemicals that have remarkable potential to:
- Boost immunity with nutritional protection (Vitamins B, D, antioxidants & fiber)
- Help your stress response
- Improve brain health, mood & cognition
- Support overall well-being with specialized polysaccharides that have anti-cancer, anti-obesity & anti-diabetes properties
- Lower inflammation, cholesterol & blood pressure
- Lessen chronic fatigue & increase energy
- Act as anti-fungal, anti-viral & anti-bacterial agents
David also recommends Netflix’s science documentary film, Fantastic Fungi where you can “delve into the magical world of fungi”. You'll see there's really nothing to be scared about after all!
©TyH Publications (M. Squires) For informational purposes only.